Net Worth Update: December 2017

Going ahead and closing the books out a little early for the year.  Here is a look at how my portfolio did for December and for all of 2017.

On October 4th, I officially hit the 2 comma club and actually stayed with that status ever since (so far).  As of December 29th (but lets just say 31st), my net worth sits at $1,055,528.59.  Compared to the end of November, this represents a $19,069.97 increase for the month or 1.839% increase for the month.  The forth quarter was strong!

Let’s take a look at the charts to see how things have grown over time.  I always think this is interesting to plot out as you can see things really start to grow in the last few years.

Basically, eyeballing the numbers, the last 5 years has accounted for the growth of 60% my net worth and the other 14 years 40%. My money is working harder for me, than I have to work for it.

For 2017, I finished in the positive by $185,996.38 or 21.39%.  This was my second best year for a pure dollar YOY change.  My net worth has grown an average of 32.40% per year or an average of $55,554.14 since I started tracking everything.  I hit an intra-year high for my net worth of $1,061,917.20.

For shits and giggles, lets list out my liabilities… $0.

For any new readers, my net worth is pretty straight forward.  I have absolutely no debt, that includes mortgages, cars, or student loans. Zilch.  Unlike others, I don’t factor in the value of my home, cars, or any other shit laying around the pad.  So my net worth purely consist of financial assets.

For those new readers, the spreadsheet is pretty straightforward.  It shows my accounts and the history of my net worth since 1999. Most of my investments are in stocks.  Buy and hold is my preferred investing style.  What isn’t in the market is the little cash that sits in the bank.

My personal goal is to grow my net worth by $100,000 per year, which now equates to less than 10% increase per year,  and would like to hit my second million in 7 to 8 years.  That would put me at age 45 to 46.

For the year 2018, I have set a lower boundary on my portfolio of $850,000 in the event of a market slowdown (hey, we’ve had a nice run, it doesn’t always just go up) and an upper limit goal of hitting $1.2 million (but I’ll take more if possible).

Look for an update coming soon on my dividend income for 2017 and my projections for dividend income in 2018.  Also a look at expenses for 2017.  Hint, my withdrawal rate was less than 1%.

How has your portfolio done for the year? Any closer to FI or ER?  Have a safe and happy new year everyone.

Don’t forget, tracking your spending and your net worth are excellent ways to monitor your progress towards your financial goals.  For some of my templates, feel free to download these spreadsheets and customize to your needs.

Follow me on the social medias:

Readers Comments (2)

  1. Congrats on a great year! Whenever I’m feeling like this is a waste of time, I like to look back at your first years. It takes time, ZJ. You can do this, too.

    • Don’t give up. It takes time: FV=(1+r)^t and all that good stuff.
      It will be worth it in the end. I’m just laughing these days, because it just seems so unreal.
      I don’t think I can imagine needing to work out of necessity anymore.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


Follow me on the social medias: